Forum

• Security seems to be a huge topic with wireless.

Outside of someone stealing bandwith or snooping around on my network (and maybe that is bad enough) What are the biggest threats to my wireless?

If my wireless is password protected, how will others try to hack in or take data from the radio waves.

In other words, what do I need to be concerned about and how do I protect those concerns?

Thanks for the help!!

• well, not only wireless need to concern about security. Even wired network also need to consider about security. Nowaday, people start to look for NAC product in order to protect their wired network.

Since wireless is using radio/frequency ,then we need to plan carefully about transmit power, WLAN security, backend system, etc.. so it is much more secure and protected.

Read cwna, cwsp book and white paper in this site should give you an idea on how to secure the wireless network.

• You must remember that what is secure today may not be secure tomorrow. Gauging how secure a system is having an acceptable level of percieved risk. As ericlaiys pointed out, wireless security is a huge topic but one thing you should know is not to use WEP (ever!) as it can be cracked in a very short time (minutes!). Look up WPA and WPA2 methods of encryption and how 802.1X works in the CWNA and CWSP study guides as it is very well presented and clearly written.

If you are using password authentication on your WLAN then you should play around with a wireless protocol analyzer like CommView for wi-fi or Airopeek NX so that you can actually see the data packets traversing through the air and you may be shocked to see how much data is transmitted that is in the clear (i.e no encyption).

Page 1 of 1