Forum

• Physical set up: Customer has office in residential home. Three rooms, standard stick-built construction, sheet rock walls, et al. Linksys WRT54G is in room #1, wireless client A is approx 20' in room #2, across the hall. Client B is in main entrance room, 10 feet from WRT - single wall obstruction. WRT set for unique SSID, using 64bit WEP, Channel 1.

New 802.11g PCI network adapters installed in clients. Signal strength and speed starts out fine but drops to very poor, sometimes completely lost. Signal cycles back and then drops again over several minute period.

Survey using Net Stumbler showed weak, intermittent signal from 7 other APs across several channels (1, 4, 6 (x2), 7, 8, 11 - go figure). Net Stumbler shows signal/noise quality from new WLAN very strong @-40db or better. Noise floor is below -90db.

QUESTION: Any ideas why signal / speed cycles down or completely unavailable, then "reappears". With so many other APs nearby, could they be interfering with beacons or other transmission to the point where the client "gives up"? Should we just go to 802.11a?

I appreciate feedback from other's experience.

• I would say yes to going with A.

• By (Deleted User)

Go to channel 4,6, 11 and see what happens on each channel.

If you are still experiencing the same thing,relocate the AP to another spot in the same room or if your ISP connection is close enough, connect it to the other PC in the other rooms that are 20' or 10' away. See if that clears up the interference. Sometimes relocation works wonders.

Another option is to filter the MAC addresses that access your AP. Linksys has that option, I think.

Then like Dan the Man said,if all else fails 802.11 A will save the day!

Page 1 of 1