Forum

Virtual Wi-Fi

1 posts by 1 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: December 5, 2005:
  • Ben,
    Be sure we appreciate your contribution on this question... and especially your comments on the engineering work behind the multi SSID question.

Reading the chapter 11.1.2.3 in 802.11-1999 about "Beacon Reception" I don't see anything that would prevent us from doing multi-SSID. The way it is implemented now is fully standard compliant.

The reasons why this solution is used is simple :
    - the customers have very ambitious projects for which they need this particular solution
    - most of the leader chipset manufacturers are not fully ready to provide multi SSID compliant chipsets (I mean chipsets providing virtual MAC addresses for each virtual SSID)... we had to find another solution.
    - We wouldn't spend time and money developping multiSSID solutions if it was just for fun... it is today a feature that is making a difference in the market and this is also something that you are going to see more and more often in a professional environment.

I would add to that that it is quite exciting to see the WLAN field evolving this way... it allow us to provide new services worldwide and it proves that it is a living technology !!

Regards

Chrisparis75

Page 1 of 1