Forum

WS5000 help

6 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: December 16, 2010:
  • Hi All,

Just wanting to know what I should have in the "Assigned:" box in the Power section of the Access Port properties page? Currently it is set to 20 dBm, is this considered "normal"?

• By (Deleted User)

Any chance you can post an image for reference? I'm assuming that there is a box for assigned and actual. If so, the "assigned" box is the power setting you prefer, but based on regulatory requirements, the actual power may be less.

If the transmit power is 20 dBm, that is 100 mW. This is within normal-ish range, but "normal" is completely dependent upon the deployment scenario. What type of environment, how many clients per AP, what types of applications, antennas, etc will all affect the optimal transmit power.

• Hmmm, I don't get an option to post an image? It's a warehouse install with directional antennas (as there is heaps of racking) and normally a maximum of about 6ish clients (all roaming).

• [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/57080432@N02/5265002312/]Try this[/url]

• 20 dBm (100 mW) is the standard I use for deployments of this type.
    Moto/Symbol gear generally lets you choose between 4 dBm (3 mw) to 20 dBm (100 mW).
    If you're using directional antennes, pointing down a row of racking, then you're probably best to leave it at 20 dBm.
    The only time I'd drop it is if there were multiple APs in that area and you wanted to shrink your wireless coverage.

• OK sweet. Thanks for your help :-)

Page 1 of 1