Forum

• I have a wireless N network running our internet in about 2700 sq feet. The building is an L shape and is 1 floor, broken up into 4 units. Each unit is separated by a wall but accessible via a glass door. We have our DLink Wireless N Router in the middle. We have problems and I have tried to rectify it. Below is a summary of what has transpired. At your earliest convenience please review my situation and provide feedback. I look forward to learning from the professionals.

1. We have up to 20-25 users on the network at peak time. Users are on a mix of XP, Vista and 7.

2. We have a consumer grade Dlink wireless N router. No users are connected through wired connections. However we do have a Cat 5 connection in each unit.

3. We noticed that our default channel 6 was very clogged with interference and changed to Channel 8. From what we can tell via software, no one else is on that Channel.

4. Users are losing connections throughout the day conducting basic internet/email activities

5. I plan on installing a wireless access point in each unit, and users will connect to their assigned access point. We have a Cat5 connection in each room so the access points can be connected through a wire. Thoughts on this?

6. We also purchased a netgear NAS from best buy to be used a share drive and back up solution. This will be done wirelessly. Thoughts?

I sincerely appreciate any feedback i can receive to troubleshoot and recommend a solution. I know wired workstations is the most reliable solution, but i prefer to stay wirelessly if possible to avoid the investment and construction drama.

• Hi,

When you say Consumer grade do you mean (a/b/g) 'n or just (b/g) 'n?

do I gather that channels 1,6 +11 are busy?

Setting your AP for 8 will still experience interference from channel 6.

have you though about using a Wireless controller for your wireless AP's?

Your NAS should be connected direct to your ap not wirelessly.

you say you have 20-25 users connected to your AP rule of thumb is to have no more than 15 users connected to any one AP.

You say you are considering connecting more AP's, how do you intend connecting these AP's to each other?

• Hey Snakie,

Thanks for replying below are my answers.

Q - When you say Consumer grade do you mean (a/b/g) 'n or just (b/g) 'n?
    A - I meant just that its an everyday netgear wireless N WNR2000 router

Q - do I gather that channels 1,6 +11 are busy?
    A - Yeah, had someone do a scan with software and Channel 6 and others were very crowded and 8 was empty.

Q - Setting your AP for 8 will still experience interference from channel 6.
    A - No clue, i just thought since 8 was empty it would be better than 6. We saw improved performance on this channel so far

Q - have you though about using a Wireless controller for your wireless AP's?
    A - No, not sure how that would help.

Q - Your NAS should be connected direct to your ap not wirelessly.
    A - Our NAS will be connected via ethernet wire directly at the main connection

Q - you say you have 20-25 users connected to your AP rule of thumb is to have no more than 15 users connected to any one AP.
    A - Yeah that is what i figured.

Q - You say you are considering connecting more AP's, how do you intend connecting these AP's to each other?
    A - Geek Squad is coming tomorrow to set up AP's. We have ethernet outlets in each unit. So the AP's will be connected via hardline. The NAS will also be connected via hardline. only the users will connect wirelessly.

Thoughts?

• Hi wirelesstek

If Geek Squad are coming in to install the AP's, then surely its their problem to set them up and get them working correctly? No offence to Geek Squad as I dont know their experince, but are they experienced in setting up business networks, or just home environments? There is a lot more to understand than the average joe may think (I was the average Joe 2 years ago!) and this is where you should be considering value vs cost.

Has anyone performed an actual site survey with a spectrum analyser?

How many of you clients have an 'a' or 'a/b/g' card in them? using 5GHz may be an option as this is almost always not used in a crowded 2.4GHz area.

You also need to think about the equipment you are putting in. Believe it or not, not all manufacturers are equal! If you put in a ?40 router (which you dont need routers, unless you are sending users across different subnets) you will have a ?40 network. You will only get out what you put in.

Do your PC's run window home version? If not, why put a home grade wirelss in to a business. You will always be chasing your tail and fire fighting in this situation.

It will cost more, but you need a solution, not a product.

PS the solution I think is most likely to work in your environment is Ruckus. HTH.

Where are you based out of curiosity? UK?

• if you are using the n-router, and if it has a 5ghz band capability, then use 5Ghz band , instead of 2.4, which is crowded in your case , as 5Ghz band gives you more option and more channels, 23 for 20Mhz and 12 for 40Mhz for channel bonding.

or other alternative is to find the least interference channel witin 2.4Ghz band ( ch: 1,6,11) , and install another AP and do load balancing b/w 2 AP's for all clients .

thx
    Mike

Page 1 of 1