Forum

• Can you please specify the format as well and also
    how they are related.A comprehensive answer would be appreciated.Thanks

• Quickly:

An xSSID is an identifier of either a network by name or a radio by MAC address.

BSSID is the MAC address of the AP's radio for that service set.

SSID is the service set identifier or network name for the basic service set(BSS).

ESSID is the same as the SSID but is used across multiple access points as part of the same WLAN.

Not so Quickly:

BSS=A set of stations controlled by a single coordination function.

IBSS=A BSS that forms a self-contained network, and in which no access to a distribution system (DS) is available.(ad-hoc)

ESS=A set of one or more interconnected basic service sets (BSSs) and integrated
    local area networks (LANs) that appears as a single BSS to the logical link control layer at any station
    associated with one of those BSSs.

• BryanH Escribi?3:

Quickly:

BSSID is the MAC address of the AP's radio for that service set.

Assume an AP acting as a 2 Virtual APs. So now the 2 BSS' will have the same BSSID or different?

• There will be 2 SSID's but the transmitter address will be the MAC address of the radio in the single AP. Do a frame capture and you will see the SSID, BSSID and MAC of the actual radio in the capture. Some AP's can support up to 32 BSSID's.

• I wonder why vendors allow that many ssids. I did a number of lab studies where i found in some cases anything more then 6 or 7 ssids you can see rf pollution. The managment overhead of probe request, responses, beacons etc .... created a great deal of channel utilization. So much in fact, it would eat up 50 to 70% of the pipe with no TRAFFIC!

Page 1 of 1