Forum

• By (Deleted User)

Hello everyone

Does anyone knows if romaing can be provided on differnt floorS?

that is vertical overlap (considering that there is roof inbetween)

Could you please put some light of the technical detail if its possible, for eg AP placement and channels.
    Thanks

• It works OK for me!

The question is what distance, and what material has been used in the building as to how well or whether it works or not. But according to both the theory and experience it does work. It has nothing to do with what channel you are using, but everything to do with AP (or aerial) placement.

If you are using highly directional aerials then you will get coverage in a narrower vertical plane as well as horizontal. If I recall correctly there was a table in the CWNA Study guide showing the coverage angles (V & H) of a selection of typical antenna, this should give you some idea.

hth

Andrew

• By (Deleted User)

Its a 3 story building with concrete ceiling in between and quite wide lets say if its 200sq feet , basically its coventry universtites library, i was wondering how many AP's will have to be placed to make sure that there is enough coverage, so that roaming occurs without any problems,

also can roaming occurs vertically? i.e between differnt floors? i know it works horizontally.

How does mobile IP works? is it being used in present wireless networks?

• By (Deleted User)

also is center permiter better ? then placing the ap's on side wall?

what about the corners, with center permiter>

• re number of APs: Its impossible to say without knowing a lot more detail about the site. That is to why you need a site survey.
    Depending on all sorts of factors you could find one AP in the middle of the middle floor covers above and below. But with all those books and bookcases the signal attenuation could be awful. Or you might get the coverage you need with one AP on each of the three floors on non-overlapping channels.
    You will likely cover more of the area you want with lower signal leakage by putting the AP in the middle of the floor rather than by a wall.

re your second point see my first answer.

cant answer no.3 I'm afraid.

rgds

Andrew

p.s are you sure we are talking 200 sqft - that doesnt sound very big for a floor to me. 10ft * 20ft?

• By (Deleted User)

I am sorry i made a big mistake with the area, the area is near bout 3000 sq meter ?? can you revise your answer please, sorry for the inconvenience,

how many access points?

thanks

• There is absolutely no way any engineer could give you the number of APs needed from that info.

Your best option is to commission a site survey of your location. A professional survey will require an investment of around £600-900 per day in the Midlands area, though you may also find freelance Wireless Engineers who will work on an hourly contract basis. The investment is a fraction of the cost that often results from an inexperienced best-guess solution.

• ...I entirely agree with iand - see my previous post!

I have seen some articles around saying that site surveys are expensive and not really necessary any more because APs are so cheap you just add some more, but this rather misses the point both technically and financially. Implementing wireless is not just plug and play! Not if you want it to work properly in any case.

I recently had a customer who said 'I want a professional install so that I know it is going to work and be stable and reliable. I am therefore willing to pay what it costs' - great customer (!) - realised that there was a bit more to getting broadband & wireless than buying an AP and plugging it in.

• That sort of customer is great :)

There is definetly a problem in the UK with 802.11 and the way in which it is perceived by many IT departments. I constantly have to fight the attitude that 802.11 is simple technology that doesn't require technical expertise. I believe this stems from the ease with which SOHO kit can be configured. Those IT managers etc who have setup their own wireless at home now believe they are experts.

It is changing, slowly but surely, and wireless is starting to be recognised as a complex technical part of networking, which is great for those of us in the UK who are ahead of the game.

When I am asked why I am recommending a £400 AP when the client could go down to the High St and buy one for £40 I just say "Do you buy your routers and switches in the local store?" Often answered by something akin to "No. We only use serious products in our network!"

It is this sort of attitude to wireless I find infuriating.

• By (Deleted User)

I would like to ask one more question from you experts i.e

can i make a point to point connection to two buildings from one ?

i.e if there are three buildings a,b,c
    and i want to make a point to point connecttion between a&b and a&c. is it possible?

or then will it be a point to multipoint?

please advice there i want to make sure that my design is secure

Page 1 of 2