Forum

• Ok fellas,

We have about 30 wireless workstations with Linksys 802.11g NICs. in seperate buldings using Cisco AIRONET 1200's as the Access Points. So far everything is working great between the AP's and the worstations.

My boss just asked me do to some research to see what other choices we have for the wireless NICs. We are about to setup another 30 workstations using Cisco 1200's as the Access Points. I suggested that we stay with the Linksys because we have not had any problems with them. He thinks it's also a good idea to stay with the Linksys NICs, but wanted to know what other choices we had. We gave Netgear NICs and shot before but they turned out to be a disaster. They always dropped the signal...they just sucked!!! So we replaced them with Linksys.

I think we should probably stay with Linksys. What do you guys think???

• viper75,

Although the IEEE and other organizations/committees are trying really hard (and at some stage I hope they do) to standardize WLAN technology and certified inter-operability among vendors, this Industry is VERY Proprietary.

Functions such as Roaming, filters and secure authentication, among others, are Vendor specific and therefore, you should keep using Linksys/Cisco in your case.

I have seen problems with different vendor’s solutions, specifically with extensible Authentication and Roaming. You may not want to deal with those at work.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

• For roaming purposes alone, I would go with Cisco cards, but if smooth roaming due to applications that are time/delay sensitive isn't a problem, by all means, stick with Linksys since it works already. I like the Cisco CB21AG and the Proxim 8480-WD Gold cards. The Proxim supports more EAP types than the Cisco, but that may be of no consequence to you in your environment. The NetGear cards are great for classrooms where you need really unusual features to show certain things, but in the real world of just "using them to connect to a network" I've had major issues. I think the world's best card has to still be the old Cisco 350 802.11b card, but we all know that everyone now needs a/b/g. ;-)

• Devinator Escribi?3:

but we all know that everyone now needs a/b/g. ;-)

Are you sure ;) ?

• I strongly support the idea of everyone needing a/b/g cards as today ?¡é?€??a?¡é?€?? networks are becoming popular, again?¡é?€?|. And we all know b/g being widely deployed?¡é?€?|

Regards,

Page 1 of 1