Forum

• Last week I was at a customer and the protocol analyzer can easily find out some alien APs but I do not know where they are.

Which tool you you use to locate these APs ?

Thanks,

Vu

• By (Deleted User)

This would totally depend on the wireless solution in place. If it were an Airespace solution with WCS, I'd use the Rogue AP mapping page. If it was Aironet with a Wireless LAN Solution Engine in place, I'd use that solution. If there were just a bunch of standalone APs, I'd use one of these solutions which I have on my laptop:
    - AirMagnet Laptop and the Finder tool with the "Geiger counter" function enabled
    - AirMagnet Spectrum Analyzer with a directional antenna seeking out the AP on a specific channel

Joel

• Thanks, Joel.

This site has some AP1230's, but no WLSE. I am reading WLSE on the Cisco site. I may suggest the customer to get it for the long run.

I cannot afford the AirMagnet tool, but thanks for mentioning the directional anttena. I asked BVSystems and they have that kind of anttena to go with the YellowJacket, which I have the 802.11b version.

Vu

• I also have Yellowjacket with the directional antenna. It has the Geiger counter, which works exceptionally well at pinpointing rogue APs!

Page 1 of 1