Forum

Low Signal

6 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: December 18, 2008:
  • Hi All!

I installed 8 APs in a two storey building and I am having issues with low signal. We have 3 Com 7760 11a/b/g and the channels are configured 1, 6 & 11. One of the AP is in the library and it still gives out a low signal. Rebooting works for a little while and then it goes back to low signal. Please help me figure out what I am missing in the whole installation process. The APs are POEs, but I choose to use direct power. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks,

TPasi

• What have you set the transmit power to on the AP's?
    Is there any non-802.11 noise in the area?
    Has the protection mode kicked off?
    Is there any blockage of the signal?

There are a lot of things that could be causing this symptom.

Also, do you really mean low signal strength or low data rate or poor throughput? Once you set the transmit power the signal strength form the AP should not change. What could change is the RF environment, noise, interference etc.

• Hi tpasi,

I'm not too familiar with 3Com AP's but you might also check if they are performing some kind of auto-tuning of the power.

Me

• Does your client utility show MAC addresses? If so, is it showing the MAC of the AP in question or possibly another MAC address?

Because you are in a 3D situation with the 2 floors you have to think 3D bubbles and be careful about your channel layouts and co-channel interference! (Also be careful of stacking AP's between floors ie. one right over another)

A stack of books or wall or two plus co-channel interference and you may be jumping to an AP with a weaker signal but a better signal quality and not realizing it?

Can you be more specific about your symptoms?

• Thanks guys. I will double check and follow your suggestions.

Thanks once again.

TPasi

• Well, I think sometimes it will be no help for it, because we need to consider the size of the house and the materials to make it, if the roof is made of Aluminium, it will have heavy influence for the signals...

Page 1 of 1