Forum

• If you have Cisco access points with smartnet -- save your money ...

http://www.my80211.com/did-you-know/

• By (Deleted User)

Hi George,

Great observations. Does that $45.00 per AP include the WLAN controllers and WCS maintainence under Smartnet?

The reason I ask is I am looking at the Meraki hosted solution that hosts the WLAN controllers and server but prices the AP support at $150.00 per year or $300 for three years. This definately includes the maintenance of WCS and WLC but at an offsite "hosted location".

Want to see if the Meraki Hosted solutions---" bang for the buck" is worth outsourcing controllers/ maintenance to the virtual cloud, in certain situations.

If the APs only require the firmware upgrade from the controller off site -this cuts down on some busy time.

That said the Meraki idea to create "wireless service stations at key Data Centers, globally may have much merit."

You may not have complete control ,but if you got to pick your hosted "google" Data Center. The ROI is real.

Anybody want to invest with me ? ;-)

• Compughter wrote:

Hi George, Great observations. Does that $45.00 per AP include the WLAN controllers and WCS maintainence under Smartnet? The reason I ask is I am looking at the Meraki hosted solution that hosts the WLAN controllers and server but prices the AP support at $150.00 per year or $300 for three years. This definately includes the maintenance of WCS and WLC but at an offsite "hosted location". Want to see if the Meraki Hosted solutions---" bang for the buck" is worth outsourcing controllers/ maintenance to the virtual cloud, in certain situations. If the APs only require the firmware upgrade from the controller off site -this cuts down on some busy time. That said the Meraki idea to create "wireless service stations at key Data Centers, globally may have much merit." You may not have complete control ,but if you got to pick your hosted "google" Data Center. The ROI is real. Anybody want to invest with me ? ;-)

No, in fact Cisco smartnet for controllers and WCS are separate from the access points. They have their own part number and cost.

• By (Deleted User)

Buying SmartNet on APs is like buying smartnet for non-core/non-critical devices. 

Agree with George.

• Geo, I love the post.

BTW, you've done a great job with your site.  It is a phoenomenal resource of great information.

Keep up the good work.

• Hey... how come Jackman has time to reply to all of these posts but can't respond to my email? :)

GT

• By (Deleted User)

Feel the love?

• "Hey... how come Jackman has time to reply to all of these posts but can't respond to my email? :)"

Maybe because you're not the one giving away the Ipad.   ;-)

• Now, I just looked back in my emails and feel like a jerk.  Point noted, GT.

I'm not exactly one of those "clean inbox" guys.  :)

Page 1 of 1