Forum

• Dave,

I bought that book several years ago, and quickly came to the realization that it was an aborted project.

For a short while the files, including the protocol analyser Link-Ferret, were available and it did work as advertised.  One problem with it was that the program had a time limit on it, which made it less than perfect.  Byron Putnam still had his website and email address up, but never answered any emails from anyone that I talked to.

I don't know if the author and the Link-Ferret people (Tuca Software) had some kind of falling-out, or if Link Ferret was bought out or what happened.   I wondered if Byron had died or something.  For a year or so, you could find different versions of the package, with slightly different versions of the Link-Ferret software but no support whatsoever from Byron or Tuca.   I remember reading posts on Amazon complaing about not being able to get the files, and that's about the last I saw of it.

I still have the name files that came with it, and three capture files, but can only view one of them.   It's a .cap file.  The other two are .lfc (link ferret capture ?) files that I can't read, as the program exe file wants you to buy the software, and since the whole Tuca infrastructure is dead (?) it can't do anything.

Besides that, I really like the book, but it's pretty painful not having the program run.

I no longer have the install package - but I will look again.

Good to hear from you again Dave.

Page 1 of 1