Forum

• Passed it today! Just wanted to give future exam takers some advice:

1) Read the Study Guide. I did it twice. The second time I read the whole book and took notes and tests. Take all the review questions quizzes after each chapter and take the sample bonus exams available in the CD.

2) Follow blogs and twitter accounts from professionals who post and share Wi-Fi related stuff. This is a great plus. Be sure to look up and learn every acronym and concept you might read. They always count.

3) Take the practice tests. They are an awesome help as they give a thorough explanation at the end whether you made a mistaker or not.

4) Install and use a packet analysis tool. The CD that comes with the Study Guide includes one.

In my case, I have been working 802.11s networks for the 2 last years at a research center in my University. Since I have worked with low-level 802.11 network programming, specially at Layer 2, I have learned a lot about packet formats. That's why I strongly recommend to take 4) seriously and download and use a packet analysis tool right away.

Also, if you have an old SOHO router that you might not use at the moment, you could try to install OpenWRT on it. You can find a guide on how to install OpenWRT on a Linksys WRT54G in my blog: http://bit.ly/cB1dxs . OpenWRT is a linux-based open source firmware for embedded devices. OpenWRT lets you use some stuff that could only be seen in Enterprise-grade hardware and are not available on a $60 router, such as a (n open source) WIDS, building a 802.11s network, 802.1X/EAP, a Light-Weight AP (and installing a WLAN Controller on a Linux PC). You should really try this!

• By (Deleted User)

Well done Wirelezz!! Congratulations, and thank you so much for sharing your prep and advice to others!

• Congrats. What are your plans for your next certification?

• Hi,
    I have just cleared my CWNA exam as well. I am an electronics and communications engg student and so have classes for most of the day.
    I wanted to know is there any way I can use the knowledge to gain practical experience, any companies that ask ppl to analyze some data and give recommendations..any way to use the knowledge and gets some experience and maybe even some cash.

• A good place to start would be asissting in a Site Survey.

You may only be a gopher for the project, but it will be a start, and get your foot in the door. Talk to some of the short-term job headhunters in your area.

A Hospital survey would be an excellent start.

• I agree with Wlanman. Look around your area for people doing the work. Even if you were to contact the local headhunters looking for an "internship" opportunity. Sometimes companies may not be actively looking for help, but when an eager student and potential asset comes to them they are willing to barter.

Page 1 of 1