Forum

• First of all, i would like to congratulate all the respected studyguide authors for their great efforts & hard work they have put into this book.

I didn't finish the studyguide yet, still in chapter 4 at the time of this post, and what follows is what i believe to be wrong/misspelled/inaccurate up till now, however more confirmation is needed by forum professionals.
    I'll update this topic regularly, so please post what you think needs correction here too.

*********************************************************************************************

Page 43: Point #8, The mentioned packet (#16) is an ACK, should be any other data packet like #18 for ex.

Page 47: 10th line from the top, sentence should read: "This transform set is then used in the...".

Page 59: Q.10, Choice (C), "computers" should be "devices".

Page 85: Point #5, "AES clock cipher" should be "AES block cipher".

Page 87: On the CCMP Header part of the Figure, "Key IV" should be "Key ID".

Page 94: Q.7, Shouldn't choice (F) be included?

**********************************************************************************************

Regards,
    Mohamed Hany

• Mohamed's post:

[quote]Page 87: On the CCMP Header part of the Figure, "Key IV" should be "Key ID".[/quote]

[quote]Page 87: Figure 3.10, concerning the CCMP Header part, Refer to Figure 8.15 in section 8.3.3.2 of the 802.11-2007 standard for a correction concerning the Key ID octet part. *Confirmed*[/quote]

David's reply:

[quote]Yes and no. There should actually be a little more clarity in the labels in that figure. There are three fields in the the CCMP header that are known as the the "Key ID octet" - Those three fields are the Reserved field, the ExtIV field and the Key ID field. The ExtIV subfield (bit 5) of the Key ID octet signals that the CCMP Header field extends the MPDU header by a total of 8 octets, compared to the 4 octets added to the MPDU header when WEP is used. The ExtIV bit (bit 5) is always set to 1 for CCMP.
    Bits 6?7 of the Key ID octet are for the Key ID subfield.

I seriously doubt that the CWSP exam will test on Key ID octect of the CCMP header, however, you can refrence Figure 8.15 in section 8.3.3.2 of the 802.11-2007 standard to see exactly what I mean.[/quote]

The CCMP header is 8-byte long, but according to the study guide, the length of the CCMP header is (8+8+5+1+2+8+8+8+8) bits = 56 bits = 7 bytes.

The CCMP header consists of PN0, PN1, reserved octet, Key ID octet, PN2, PN3, PN4, and PN5. The Key ID octet includes the Ext IV, Key ID, and a reserved subfield (5-bit) that is different from the reserved octet (8-bit).

So I'm afraid the reserved octet is missing in the book.

CCMP MPDU from the study guide:

[b]PN0 PN1 Rsvd KeyIV KeyIV PN2 PN3 PN4 PN5[/b]

Which should read as follows (according to 802.11-2007 standard):

[b]PN0 PN1 Rsvd Rsvd ExtIV KeyID PN2 PN3 PN4 PN5[/b]

• Small type o...

Page 213 - Question 11
    "based in the settings Bob's WLAN controller, what type of WLAN security "exits" within the coverage .. yada yada ...

exists

• Page 147, Chapter 4. Figure 4.27 shows 4b (bogus name) then 5 states (real username). This should be bogus as well.

• Dave,

You posted this a while back. I have been unable to find this podcast. Do you have a link to it.

I shall be doing an audiocast on Keith Parson?s Wirelesslanprofessionals website sometime later on regarding SSL which is the foundation of TLS, which in turn is the foundation of EAP-TLS, which in turn is the foundation of many other ?EAP Methods?. I have found that if you understand SSL [ Secure Sockets Layer ] you can pretty much understand most security systems [ it covers public keys, private keys, certificates, symmetric keys, message integrity etc ]. I?ll be ?dissecting?a typical SSL connection and going through it step by step.

Dave

• Hi Dominic

It's quite a bit of material. If new to SSL, I'd suggest reading and listening to a little bit each day. Take a week to go through the whole thing. If you can get a good grip of how SSL works, it pretty much gives you a background to understand an awful lot of other security related systems due to the areas it covers ...certificates, public keys, private keys, encryption, sequences etc etc:

http://wirelesslanprofessionals.com/wlw-017-secure-sockets-layer-ssl-in-depth/

I won't say "enjoy", as you would have to be a masochist to actually enjoy it !!.

If you fall asleep listening to me droning on and on, try a Red Bull !!

Dave

• Can I humbly add what seems to be errors?
    1-Shared Secret is defined on p136 as between authenticator and AS, while on p154 and glossary as b/w client and AS.
    2-Q4-10. "inner TLS tunnel" . Is there an outer TLS tunnel? Maybe inside TLS tunnel?
    3-p229, last line. "Based on complex...each character...numerical." numerical should be alphabetical?
    BTW, ("complex informational theory'? It's a simple mathematical formula.. entropy bits=log(N) / log (2). But maybe the theory behind the formula is more complex?)
    4-Q6-5. Should'nt E also be correct? If clients use a different PMK, then a different PTK is generated?

Page 1 of 1