Forum

• Thanks jsicuran, I am indebted to you.

Thanks for sharing!!!! I feel like I have found a gold mine.

• badger11 Escribió:

Thanks jsicuran, I am indebted to you.

Thanks for sharing!!!! I feel like I have found a gold mine.

Your welcome, if you can figure out my naming conventions then most of the files should make sense.

Some tips to reading my files to make it a little easier

ws = workstation(wireless client)
    ds = distribution system a device on the wired side
    ap = access point
    PS = power save

most of the traces with the words long and short are referring to preambles but some will have slot times so look carfully.

There are some that have the powersave mode using the bit flipping method of the powersave bit in the FC and a couple of others that actually use PS poll frames. There are some features you may see but I did not put them in the name so look carfully.

Have fun...

• Congratulations on passing. Thanks for all the info you have posted. I'm sure the traces will be a great help too.

Cheers

Andrew
    CWNA and
    ('CWAP hope-to-be')

• I used the CWAP guide, read it like 4 times, the cisco press book, read it 4 times(once last year) I used the airopeek CWAP keyed version of Ariopeek and used a CWAP discounted RF grabber from network chemistry as my main capture analyzer and WIDS. I had a lab of B and G access points and created a little CWAP trace library. I have a lot of traces of interesting b and g packets and protocol mechanics/transactions that I would love to share with the folks here.

You mention the CWAP Study Guide & Cisco book, but dont make any mention of The IEEE 802.11 Handbook: A Designers companion which several others have. Is this a necessary resource in your opinion or is all the reading info in the CWAP study guide?

Cheers

Andrew

• Congrats on passing!

I have used AiroPeek extensively at numerous sites, and have had many different scenarios to troubleshoot.

With that in mind, I did very well in the application part of the exam, and poorer on the PHY, frames part that I could have studied harder.

So, in my case, I thought the exam did an great job of reflecting my experience in applying wireless concepts to solve a problem. (I might not have passed otherwise!)

I remember reading a scenario several times, thinking, there are several conclusions that could be correct! Then I would take a step back, argue (out loud) why each solution would or would not work until a light would finally come on, and I could eliminate an answer. (I need to check the switch, because the light only flickered a few of those times!!)

I suspect that if you had the opportunity to review the questions you missed, there would be a lot of "oh yeahs", followed by a "err.. I should have gotten that one" smile.

Anyway, I think you proved you know your stuff, because you passed, and that is what the test was designed for. Also, that is why passing is 70%, not 90%!

Good job!

• [quote="hollistera"]

You mention the CWAP Study Guide & Cisco book, but dont make any mention of The IEEE 802.11 Handbook: A Designers companion which several others have. Is this a necessary resource in your opinion or is all the reading info in the CWAP study guide?

Cheers

Andrew

Hollistera, it depends on what you have at the time and feel comfortable with. Some of the early pre guid cwap guys used the 802.11 handbook. I did not have one(or bother getting one)for I was waiting for it to be updated. I had the cisco press book and waited for the guide. Most of the stuff is in the guide. There is just so much information that having a couple of sources can help but can also hinder you too.

As I mentioned here I may have overstudied on this one. I was spending too much time nitpicking and splitting hairs at the mac / phy that I lost a little focus on the analysis subjective part.

Thanks CCollins for the congrats., appreciate it. I was a little donw about the score I thought I could get over 80. I got a 93 on the cwna, which seemed to have a lot of subjective material, and I didn't study as hard.

I think I overstudied and was second or third guessing every analysis type question.
    My 15 years of protocol analysis experienc sometimes can be a hinderance. Heck the CNX seemed easier than this on. Joe Bardwell would be proud:)
    I got over 80s in the mac frames etc. but was fighting off my experience with the analysis questions. I kept saying to myself WTF?? I may not have as much troubleshooting experience in the wireless world as most folks here do. But I have a ton of wired lan/wan/app protocol analysis experience.

My approach in thinking was that as long as your analysis approach/methodology and experience is sound then it could be applied to ANY technology wired or wireless. Just learn the nuances of the protocol and RF behavior and adjust your approach as necessary.

It seems that everyone has a tough time with the PHY stuff. I don't know if it is because it is a difficult subject to grasp or the way PHY info. is laid out in the guide and other study resources, hence my reason to create the diagrams.

I must say it was a lot of fun and worth it. I learned a lot. Funny the Fluke 802.11 poster has a couple of errors on it. Guess which ones??

Onto CWSP!! Thanks agiain for the congrats and everyones posts.

I am going to post the diagrams and trace links for everybody to see here on a new thread so new folks can access it easier. They are buired in another thread.

Regards..

Page 2 of 2