Forum

• I'm looking at buying a new laptop and it only comes with the new mini PCI cards. I have seen Atheros based cards that are good for capture and will fit, but what about my Cognio card? Now that they have been acquired by Cisco, it is more difficult to contact them for a simple question.

Any help is much appreciated!

Gene

• I'm using Orinoco Gold which is now Proxim.

• Maybe I have written the post wrong. I need to know if anyone has used an EXTERNAL PCMCIA card adapter (USB style) for use with cards such as Cognio, capture cards etc. Anyone?

Gene

• Gene,

I had the same problem when I was looking for a new laptop. I consulted with some of my fellow engineers and found that Cognio would not run well in an external PCMCIA adapter (could not detect sensor error or something of that sort). I chose to go with a Lenovo X61 (which has a standard full PCMCIA slot) that way I can use my Cognio and use Wireshark/AirPCAP for capturing via USB adapters. The laptop seems to handle running both apps pretty well (knock on wood).

Problerly not the answer you wanted but just wanted to share my experiences.

-Chris

• Chris,

Thank you very much for the reply. I already ordered the laptop, but I'll just have to keep my tablet for Wi-Fi work, which, isn't a big deal. Thanks again!

Gene Hill

P.S. Am I a shoe-in for a job since I also have the rare last name of Hill? :)

• Its a good start! ;-)

-Chris

• At least you looked first Gene! I had the same problem. I ordered a Dell, and surprise!

I haven't tried it yet, but this adapter is probably what you are looking for:

Addonics ADEXC34CB Express Card 34 Cardbus Adapter

Page 1 of 1