Forum

• I'm curious if anyone can think of a reason a BlockAck would be sent not in response to a BlockAckReq. This changes the way the duration ID is calculated (according to the standard) but just seems...well...crazy. :?

Thoughts?

• ...adding to this. If BlockAcks can be sent not in response to a BlockAckReq...where are they sent to? (What is the RA field address?)

I am guessing this is similar to CTS frames not in response to RTS frames, but I just don't see it in the standard or on the web.

• Is this in an 802.11e or 802.11n environment? There are some improvements in 802.11n (Draft) that remove some of the overhead using BlockACK frames in 802.11e.

• Hey Bryan-

Neither specifically. I just noticed in the 802.11-2007 standard (the big kahuna standard) that it mentioned a BlockAck duration ID would be equal to or greater than the amount of time needed for SIFS+Ack if the BlockAck was not in response to a BlockAckReq. Seemed rather strange. I'll try checking the other draft standards etc and see if I can find anything.

Thanks.

• If I understand this correctly, the BlockACK is used to make the network faster. A STA can send one ACK that covers several frames that were received of diferent types, voice, video, data, and could be sent with or without a request. I will try to do some homework and post a more complete answer if I find one shortly.

• ...Ok I have an idea for this, but my diagram is cutting squished when trying to post it. I'll see if I can explain it later. ;-)

Page 1 of 1