Forum

• It is often said that a Wi-Fi AP should be no closer than (perhaps) six feet distance from another AP - even if they are using different channels. This is because one AP's radiated RF signal can swamp the radio circuitry of the other.

It would seem that the minimum range between a Wi-Fi AP and a Bluetooth AP (e.g. say a 90 mW Parani unit ) should also follow the same rules. Note that BT AP's can easily connect to 7 or more client devices.

Does anyone have experience with this situation - good or bad. What did you find?

Note that I'm not talking about "traffic" congestion, just RF the signal aspect.

Thanks.

• Bluetooth was designed after WiFi. it yields right of way to WiFi. transmits after the AP is done, et cetera. Colocation is a planned aspect of Bluetooth design

• By Howard - edited: May 27, 2014

Yes, that's true.

But it's likely that the BT AP is sending a lot more data than a single BT device. In fact 7 to 14 of them, one right after the other.

So couldn't the BT signals saturate the radio of the Wi-Fi AP from a strictly RF point of view?

In the past I've seen AM radios do that to FM radios - just from close proximity to one another.

I'm talking about a situation where the BT AP is sitting right up next to the Wi-Fi AP.   I have seen that in various manufacturing test set-ups.

Page 1 of 1