Forum

• I'm curious to ask what 'carts' or other rigs others have used when taking passive surveys?

There seems to be a variety of images for a rig used to mount an AP to - but I'm just interested in what people are using for holding/carrying their laptop when performing long (more than 30 mins) surveys.

If whatever it is can be integrated for a cart used with an AP rig - great. Trying to find a cart that's tall enough to not have to hunch over but still easily fits in a mini-van would be ideal. I've not seen a straight up laptop cart that provides a bottom shelf for carrying a battery/power.

• No one willing to post what they use?

Is everyone just using the "harness" strap for their laptop and rolling around a battery pack on a chair? (And does everyone prefer to "carry" around their laptop for hours?)

My next survey is for a large high school and I'm skeptical an extended laptop battery is going to be enough - as it will likely take +6 hours.

• I use a variation of what Jennifer Hubers blogged in 2011.

See http://www.cwnp.com/cwnp_wifi_blog/site-survey-rigs/

I use her pole and AP attachment method, but my pole is attached to the front of a heavy duty plastic cart, like might be used in a assembly plant.   I got the pole from a Home Depot.

We have wide and narrow carts - I use the narrow one about 18" wide as it's much easier to move through buildings.   It will easily hold 150 lbs.  It's not as tall as I would like though.

My cart stays in or near the same building, so I don't have to worry about travelling with it. I wouldn't try to carry it around in anything less than a pickup truck, van, or SUV.

Black Box and Tessco used to have carts that would extend to various heights.

• My Favorite is a Castertray and A Tablet ;-) And yes I still use the harness if I do not have my tablet haha. http://www.castertray.com/surveyor.html

• That 'castertray' is industrial strength all right - and the price to go with it :-)

@Srynearson - thank you for responding.

I can see times where a harness would do just fine - but having to wear it for more than a couple hours is not my ideal... though a harness is still cheaper than most cart options.

• I've been using the castertray for years now and it's still going strong.

Page 1 of 1