Forum

• we have had discussion on what is a mandatory data rate, i take the position under FCC rules certain data are mandatory and cannot be changed( yes or no)

part 2 discussion centered around different tiers of service tier one 756/256
    tier two 1m/2m, i hold that this is half duplex you cannot set a specfic data up or down, data rate depends on power, antenna gain and distance

tell me i am wrong :)

• Part 1
    The FCC regulates frequency use, not data rates. The mandatory data rates are defined by the AP via information elements present in beacons and other management frames. If a station cannot support any of the basic rates advertised by the AP, then it may not join the BSS. Again, this is not an FCC regulation but a part of the 802.11 protocol.

Part 2
    802.11 is half duplex. At layer 2 you cannot define different data rates for tx and rx. The station determines its own transmit rate based on its rating algorithm, but must receive at the data rate chosen by the sending station. The AP will mediate inter-station traffic, ensuring that the stations will only be sent traffic at a supported rate. However, back to the original question, bi-directional rate limiting can be done at layer 3 by a router.

• thank you for the answer. as a follow up question in a enterprise system using LWAP, i would allow users a x amount of mpbs at the layer 3 router

• Enterprise routers have traffic control and shaping capabilities that allow you to create and enforce bandwidth limitations. How you do rate limiting depends on what router you're using. You can probably get detailed configuration steps from your router's documentation and the vendor's support forums.

Page 1 of 1