Forum

• Hi,
    On a recent install I was doing some throughput tests to verify the installation. In one particular location (to floor of a three storey building, with a water tower on roof)I had terrible results (in the few hundred Kbps, sometimes).

I noticed that the throughput was very variable, it ranged from around 12Mbps down to 800Kbps. Moving the AP around made no real difference. It would sometimes start really good, nice and steady and then go down, jum up again, etc...

I had an RF analyser which showed nothing unusual around.

Upon investigations I found that whenever I touched the data cable or the antennas at the AP end the throughut jumed u and stayed fairly steady.

I had standard 2.2dbi antennas. I also noticed that if I swaped the antennas to 6dbi (rubber duck, omni)and reduced my power to keep within the 100mw limit I again got a good throughput result.

Can anyone please explain, what is likely to be going on. I looked at the AP statistics and it wasn't showing anything more than about 10% retries!!

• something seriously wrong. Maybe a bad antenna connection?

When you touch the antenna, potentially yourself becomes a bigger antenna so I would suspect that there is something wrong with the antenna connector?

• CGO,
    I don't think it was a bad antennae connection. As I also swapped the AP with another one (new/different antenna) and had the same response.

I suspect that there might be lots of reflections from the roof/ceiling area, as i seemed to get better results when I lowered the AP and had it sitting on a table!!

Page 1 of 1