Forum

• By (Deleted User)

Frequent wireless disconnections on Windows XP

“My windows machine is always disconnecting from the wireless network after some time. Then I have to restart my PC in order to get a new connection. Help please?”

Windows XP comes with a utility called Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) that runs as a service and is intended to make connecting to an access point much easier, by continuously searching for access points in range. This behaviour may cause random disconnections on your wireless network.

To correct this you will have to disable the WZC service and use another wireless management program, such as the one that comes with your wireless network adapter. Refer to the software help files or user manual for information on how to install and configure it.

Note:
        By default, the WZC service is started automatically every time you load Windows.

To prevent the WZC service from starting, open the services console (type services.msc in the Run box and press OK) and double click the Wireless Zero Configuration service to display the properties dialog.

Select Disabled as a Startup type, press the Stop button and click OK.

Verify:

Start | CMD |

sc query wzcsvc

C:>sc query wzcsvc

SERVICE_NAME: wzcsvc
            TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
            STATE              : 1  STOPPED
                                    (NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
            WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
            SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
            CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
            WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

C:>

• There are hug advantage with WZC though since you can push out the wireless policy via AD. I have yet to find a client utility that works perfectly.

• By (Deleted User)

Hmm... agreed.  This little fix makes things a bit more manual.    Maybe there are other fixes for a client hopping between APs in a densely packed area.

• Yes, I agree that WZC makes things easier to manage via AD compared to the free supplicants out there. My experience with OAC (Odyssey Access Client) is that it gives you the management capabilities plus a few more nice to have features for the enterprise. I wonder though Darby, if the client disconnections are due to some interference in the area?

• By (Deleted User)

Actually after I wrote this and upong reviewing the config again I enabled WZC and then I took another long hard look at the client.

She was using IBM's Access Connections Client.  It had CCKM enabled.  (As does my laptop which exhibited no issues connecting at all).  There were only 2 other WLANs in the building. 

I'd changed the channel in the NIC's configuration to be sure it was optimal to no avail.

However, after I disabled CCKM - She connected just fine.  I enabled it and she broke.  Then I disabled it and it worked - clockwork.

I'm not happy as for why it occurred like this just yet.

The WLC does not have CCKM enabled (it was enabled on the Autonomous APs) previously. 

My client still had it enabled and did not have any issues.

Her client software could not even see our WLAN even though it could see the neighbors.  Kind of odd.  But not unusual using IBM's Access Connections software and the builds we use.  So not unusual either - though usually experienced when the user is also connected to the Wired network from my own previous experiences.

• At least 90% of cliet connectivity issues I see are due to poorly written client utilities. For example Intel and Cisco have collaborated on the client side I cant recall the exact details but they are at client ver 13.x now. Cisco are recomending 11.5 for certain 802.11n nics with 95% stability.

Well in reality if it says 802.11n I want 100% stability with 802.11n and higher driver iterations should be bettre.

Its about time manufacturers got their **** together. We all took the p£$$ out of Microsoft Works as a misnoma now it seems that everyne can produce c££p and we just take it.

Darby its almost definitly the client, similar to bloat ware on a new laptop. Ineficient, unweildy and resource hungry. The only thing it actually des is make my laptop run hot

• Ahhh, now it all makes sense Darby. I have had several not pleasant run ins with the vagaries of the IBM Access Connection client. I nearly always uninstall it on my laptops specifically because it seems to cause nothing but headaches. Good you found it was CCKM though, I probably would not have spent that long figuring out exactly what is was but just told them to get a better client or use WZC.

• By (Deleted User)

Actually IBM Access Connections was the company standard.  We've since determined this not to be the case any longer.  So actually the issue is currently resolved but is only a patch.  The laptop should be on the company standard. Mine included now that we've changed over to a new client.

I'm not the desktop guy.  Normally I'd never see a user's desktop.  This is that rare one-off where a client actually see "The Hamster".   I was actually in the neghborhood while converting a couple of APs and since the user reported that "no seemed to be able to help her". 

Consequently the user reported two issues, with two machines, at two locations and that is what really got my attention.

Page 1 of 1