Forum

• I just passed the CWTS and I am assuming that the CWNA is the next logical test, is this correct thinking? Also, I have the CWNA Study Guide, practice tests from the CWNP website and access to enterprise equipment. Is there anything else that I need?

Any suggestions from recent test takers is greatly appreciated!

• You are correct. Having access to enterprise equipment is a big plus.

• I think you're covered. Good luck on your studies!

• Thanks guys, the one section I am most worried about is the RF mathematics section...I knew I should listened more to my teachers when they told me that math was the key. DARNIT!!! :)

• RF math problems can be daunting at first, but I think repetition is the key. Try to find as many problems and discussions as you can find, and do them over and over. Make up some of your own problems, and then test your answers against one of the many path-loss calculaters on the net.

[b]Memorize[/b] the definition "0dBm = 1mw", and a couple of the relations, e.g. 20 dBm = 100 mW and 30 dBm = 1000 mW or 1 Watt. Use these to run sanity checks against your answers.

Another factor to firmly get into your mind is the difference between dB and dBm. A true appreciation of this relation will often make the solution steps for the problem obvious.

The difference between dBi and dBd is a simple number - For simplicity I'd concetrate on the numerical difference and just which is bigger numerically.

You may have some great friends that run FCC compliance tests, but unless you really need to understand Antenna Factors immediately, I would stay away from those discussions for now. They use dB ofcourse, but only very rarely dBm.

Also understand the significance of sign , e.g. that -85 dBm is less power than -65 dBm.

Finally read up on dBr, and dBc because you may see them depending on what kind of work you are doing. Appreciate that the final character, the "r" and the "c", really do have their own significance and they are not just typos.

Good luck.

• Memorize the rules of 10s and 3s. Memorize it.

• Absolutely. My answer meant that as a given - considering the subject.

Memorizing for the sake of memorizing doesn't work well for me. Take for the example the directive to "memorize the chain rule" in beginning Calculus. Sorry, but I'd rather see the problems that use the chain rule and learn it, and its application, that way.

If you like number games it may help to put the calculations in a table. Look at the possibilities, and write down a few more combinations that come up with the same numbers.

Every time you see a product description, carton, or ad, mentally calculate the equivalence.
    It all helps.

• Thanks guys, I will start forging away toward my goal of RF mathematics guru status.
    ; )

• Dont forget the 2's and 10's that go with the 10's and 3's............. Right Kevin...

Page 1 of 1