Forum

• After passing the CWNA, we are all faced with the next big question, what�s next? For me the answer was simple CWAP! Being a former clinician, triage was an everyday part of life. Triage involves understanding the items involved with a problem and knowing what �good� looks like to get to the root cause�. same as troubleshooting. I like to use the approach of object, property and value(s). An example would be to pick any type of client (object), knowing its various properties (modulation, basic rates, various timings, etc.) and what the different values could be in a �normal� situation to be able to quickly identify when things are incorrect.

I have also spent a fair amount of time in Product Management. A big part of Product Management is understanding Use Cases and �Day in the Life� scenarios. These skills were directly applied to my study approach. An example would be a happy 802.11n network with 802.11n clients, when all of a sudden an 802.11b client enters. What happens to all the variables in the path�. frame values, modulation, timing, etc.?

The key items I used in studying were the following:
    - CWAP Study Guide Objectives
    - Original CWAP Study Guide by Devin Akin
    - Supplied CWAP White Papers
    - CWNP White Papers
    - IEEE Standards
    - Matthew Gast�s 802.11 Wireless Networks � The Definitive Guide & 802.11n � A Survival Guide
    - Everything by @revolutionwifi, @wirelesssguru, @KeithRParsons, @MarcusBurton, @Ben_SniffWiFi, @connect802, @firemywires, @metageek, @DevinAkin
    - Vendor White Papers
    - Fortunate to be a part of the CWNP CWAP Beta Class!

It is very key to read from multiple sources when having difficulty understanding a concept. An explanation is just a subtly different way could switch on the light bulb. Fortunately with the amazing WiFi community, the sources are abundant!

An additional huge part in the study approach was capture, capture, capture! In any scenario where a wireless capture can be gathered, grab it! I remember performing packet captures in Singapore making a Skype call or watching a YouTube video, capturing in every Admirals�s club, Starbucks or hotel or any wireless scenario for that matter. Same holds true for Spectrum Analysis! Also, capture from various tools to see the differences in them. I use AirMagnet in my day-to-day work, however, I found the flexibility and customization of Wireshark to be more suitable for advanced analysis.

The last major component in studying was having all of the materials on a tablet. Due to the amount of travel I have, the tablet with course materials was invaluable. Nothing like a long flight delay to get in a chapter or two!

Finally, in the week leading up to the test, I focused on taking the practice tests from the CWAP Study Guide and the CWNP Online Practice Tests. This really allowed me to focus in on the areas where I needed to brush up.

Hope this helps out folks looking to take the CWAP Exam! It is a very challenging course, but just like troubleshooting, with a solid plan of attack and focus the outcome will be successful!

• Congratulations Brian. Way to go !

I have been hoping that Gast would come out with a new book. I always recommend his "Definitive Guide" to everyone who asks. But it was starting to age a little - and I don't mean the dog eared corners of my copy. Still, a really great book !

How do the two books compare? Is the detail regarding "n", in as much detail as he writes in the previous book? Does he talk about [u]all[/u] the options and enhancements ?

I am a little confused, by your mention of the "Beta Class". Do you mean the one they had about a year ago ? The first actual class was at the end of last year, in Colorado.

Again, good job, and thanks for mentioning the new Gast book.

Wlanman

• Nicely done, Brian! CWAP really separates the professionals from the crowd. Are you going to pursue the other CWxP certifications?

• Congratulations, Brian! Thanks for sharing your prep list and methodology. Well done!

• @@ron ::

Absolutely... CWDP is next!

• Wlanman ::

Related to Matthew's book.... it is a "Survival Guide", so not as in depth as his first book... still really great resource to have and great to have side-by-side with content in CWAP.

Referred to the CWAP Beta Class in Atlanta last year. I was very lucky to be the last person in.

• Congrats

• Congrats!!!

Page 1 of 1