Forum

• I just passed my CSWP. However, it is time to prepare for the CWAP. Based on what I have heard, it is really hard. Two sides to success are:
    1. Hands-on with a protocol Analyzer: I bought Ferret (at Educational Discount for $90.00). It is Windows based. No need for Linux knowledge. http://www.linkferret.ws/order/store.htm. In addition, you should have an AP such the Cisco 1200 series and couple Windows clients.
    2. As for the library:
    a) Cisco 802.11 Wireless LAN Fundamentals (excellent)
    b) 802.11 Wireless Networks - 2nd edition - best book on Wireless I have seen so far (bought it yesterday)- the writer is a god of WLAN analysis
    c) Part of the 3rd edition of the CWNA for the basics.
    d) I ordered a copy of the CWAP book - no idea of the quality.
    e) Lastly Google for any relevant 802.11 frame mysteries.

Any other suggestions? I do not plan on taking the class. I will let you know if I pass it the first time around.

• pmoulay, I have beta tested and used link ferret for years. for the money it is a great little wireless protocol analyzer. Howerver, when I took the CWAP last january, I mostly used the demo of Aiorpeek and commview. The decodes in link ferrert, though good were not 100% at the time. I did side by side comparisons of several analyzers and for decided it was not worth risking an exam using ferret at the time.

Don't get me wrong. I use ferret for a lot of wireless troubleshooting and analysis and have contributed to helping the product mature. I have had an educational discount version since late 02 so I have seen many changes with the product. But to make sure I would use one of the others. As your knowledge grows you will see all the little issus right and wrong with some of these analyzers.

Good luck

• Well, it is true you pay for you get. I can not afford $500-$1000 for a protocol analyzer. Of course, I forgot to mention Ethereal which will now work for wireless (shareware). Ethereal is an excellent protocol analyzer and is a valuable option too. I know it does work under Linux for WLAN. I am not sure about Windows XP yet.

• HI GUYS , I HOPE YOU MUST HAVE CLEARED YOUR CWAP EXAM BY NOW , I AM STARTING MY PREPARATION FROM TOMM.........IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU CAN GUIDE ME .......HOW AND WHERE TO START.......

THX
    MIKE

PASSED CWNA LAST WEEK

• Mike - See my response in the CWNP Program forums.

Congrats on the CWNA!

Page 1 of 1