Forum

• By pingu - edited: March 10, 2013

Just started studying the CWAP which I have been meaning to for a very long time and it seems to make more sense than I thought it would, initially anyway but I see a great deal of questions coming as I have just got into chapter 2 and need some clarification already. I am studying the CWAP first as for me I see this as being the hardest exam and will develop me well beyond the CWNA and CWSP and hopefully leave me with a little light revision to complete the CWDP and get all the exams done this year.

I understand the long and the short PPDU formats however they transmit the PSDU at a maximum of 11Mbps therefore they are only relevant to 802.11b frames?

Would a station connected at a data rate of 1 Mbps ( or for the sake of argument only capable of 1Mbps) be capable of hearing a short PPDU? I guess not as it would see the SYNC and SFD ie the Short PLCP Preamble but would not understand the Short PLCP header at 2 Mbps. If that were the case we would have to use a long PPDU Preamble.

In th eCWAP book on page 42 we discuss the OFDM PLCP Preamble but we discuss symbols, I understand the principle of symbols but thought I would post the query here as to how can I simply convert this 12 symbols into bits at the start of the OFDM Preamble. 

Additionally there is no clarification in a format change between 12 subcarriers for a short OFDM preamble and 53 subcarriers of a long OFDM preamble or a variation to the 16usecs of the preamble duration?

Lastly we do not discuss PPDU formats for 802.11g, at least as far as I understand at this time, so would it be safe to assume that this topic is not examined, however in such a book as the CWAP why is that not covered as a topic?

Page 1 of 1